Mittwoch, 5. November 2008

Congratulations

I congratulate President-elect Obama on a stunning victory last night. I was up until about 4 last night, waiting for Virginia and Florida to be projected, but fell asleep before that, with my laptop still streaming ABC's live coverage of the election. When I woke up around 6 and glanced sleepily at the screen, it showed people crying as they listened to Obama's victory speech. His theme of hope, change and reconciliation was pretty much the same as it had always been, but suddenly it seemed to be carrying added gravitas, suddenly it actually seemed doable. I realize that as President, Obama can only disappoint. He would have to be able to turn water into wine in order to not disappoint, and even then only because people would be too drunk to care.
In his hands he now holds the trust and hope of millions of people around the world. It's a tremendous burden and responsibility and one can only wish him the best of luck. Now let the testing of this guy's mettle begin. Russia, you go first. Oh, you already have? My mistake...

Keine Kommentare: